I received this from a good friend who reads Mandarin local newspapers.
In the words of dear friend:
“I found that this interview is one of the best MCA President interview I ever seen in my life. I tried my best to translate the key points to share with all of you.”
And so, here are the key points so lovingly translated by dear friend, I now have pleasure to share with you.
Point no. 17 & 20 is Fu Yoh! Can MCA do it? How come Malaysiakini not covered this ???
(Headline, covered 3 whole pages on 25/4/08 Sinchew)
1. MCA does not agree to Ketuanan Melayu
2. Malaysia is NOT an Islamic State.
3. Uphold the spirit of the Federal Constitution.
4. Against the “selective interpretation” of Federal Constitution by certain groups of people. The Constitution not only mention about Malay Privilege but under sec 153(7), the non-Malay rights shall not be deprived. Sad to say that certain people in power only mention and implement part of the Constitution and thereafter take this to their respective political agenda.
5. To eliminate “bumi” and “non-bumi” policies as such policy were set up in 50s…60s, NO more relevant and acceptable for the new generations and people at large. Young generation does not understand why do they need to be “classified” on the day they born.
6. Against all the unfair and unequal treatment under the NEP. Malay newspapers created confusion and racial tension by misquoting MCA and leaders’ speeches.
7. MCA realized they did not perform up to the people expectations
8. People has no patience to wait for the result of “internal negotiation/compromise”
9. All the Parties within BN shall work hand in hand in developing policies and decision making, no more “politic of compromise”
10. MCA has to work hard to change its role from “UMNO’s follower” to “UMNO’s partner”.
11. ISA, OSA, Sedition Act to be reviewed.
12. Two-party system is good for the national development and progress
13. Learn from China and Taiwan in making revolutionary change
14. MCA to focus on Social Responsibilities, Education and Equal Rights
15. Social Responsibilities: Legal System, Anti Corruption, healthy politics, Economic Development, Needy Group.
16. MCA will carry on with its reforms irrespective of how UMNO will change.
17. Will support Pakatan Rakyat policy if it is good for the people.
18. BN shall work harder and perform better than Pakatan Rakyat, to gain support from the people
19. In MCA, all the decisions make collectively by team, be it Political Bureau, Presidential Council or CC, instead of only President. These include selection of candidates for the minister post and senators. This model only started after he took over. It has never been in this mode before OKT.
20. MCA CC will discuss the proposal of President to be elected and voted direct by all members.
21. He accepts and feels that is normal, under such circumstances (lost in GE), bound to have some people accuse him for certain decisions made that caused the lost.
22. To change and reform a 50 year-old MCA, it takes time. He believes 6 months is a reasonable time frame.
23. MCA needs to be united, not depend on a few key leaders to rejuvenate/reform
24. If BN does not want to change according to the people want, we are going to lost the power in next GE.